Friday, October 24, 2014

Chan My, port city for Hue, Vietnam

Today was our first day in Vietnam. And boy was it an early start to the day as well as a very sticky day. But first our day in Vietnam. I have to admit I'm a bit Vietnam ignorant. I did not realize that Vietnam was a communist country. I know very little about the Vietnam war, other than it happened and it wasn't popular in America ( if I'm even remembering that correctly). It was in history books, but we were lucky to get to 1900 in American history class let alone the 60's and 70's. I apologize for my ignorance and hope I don't offend anyone by my lack of knowledge. I can say I've learned some history today. 

On our tour today we traveled about an hour and a half by bus to the historical capital of Hue (pronounced hway). I was fascinated with our drive, we travelled through flooded rice fields, mountains, river deltas and population centers. It is not rice season as it's the start of the rainy season and everything is just flooded. We did see what they call buffalo walking around in the flooded fields. It is a very mountainous place, much more so than I ever thought. The homes and businesses along the street were so different from westernized ways and even the more modern ways of the Asian sites we've seen so far. It really makes me appreciate what I do have. Our tour guide said that some families live on $50-60 a month. The streets were just lined with what looked like shacks, but they were concrete narrow buildings, but right next to rubble. The guide said that they are rebuilding after the many years of war. 

We made it to Hue and we went to the forbidden city, which was the home of the emperors from the early 1800-1945. It was called the forbidden city because only the royalty and servants were allowed in. It was heavily bombed in the wars and the Americans took up camp here and fought against the communist party. They are working on rebuilding it and expect it to take many many years. On the way to and from all of the sites we were hassled by locals trying to sell us stuff. It is a cheap country to buy things, but they weren't things we really wanted to buy. They were relentless though, especially then following the madam's (i.e. me). 




Next we went to a market. Oh my gosh, that was so not for me! It was tiny pathways with a billion tiny shops and all of the people harassing us to buy something. We could buy in U.S. Dollars, which was nice, but still I didn't enjoy the small areas and the following me. We got back on the bus fairly quickly. 

Then we headed to the dragon boat to cruise up the perfume river. These are boats like they use to use, families live on them and run them. They even had things to sell, but did not harass. Next lunch, a buffet of local goodies before heading back out. 





We went to the Buddhist pagoda, which was interesting, then to the second emperor's mosuleum. He died in 1840. Then back to the bus. 

Pagoda 

A hot stick mess at the mosuleum 

The temperature was not to hot, but the humidity was terrible and the whole group was a sweaty mess. The bus had air conditioning, which helped when we were in there. I also found that me and my size were a bit of a spectacle. I can't understand Vietnamese, but my inclination was that they were laughing at me. 

I enjoyed the day and learning about Vietnam. I wish I had unlimited internet (free) on the ship so I could research more about these places when we got back. Our tour guide spoke great English and was very informative. A great day. We were tired when we got back and a shower and some relaxing were in order. 

Tomorrow more Vietnam. 

Much love! 

1 comment:

  1. I was just a little kid at the time of the Vietnam War; it started in the mid-50's and ended in 1975, when I was in 8th grade. I have much older brothers and the two middle ones both fought in Vietnam. Sammy was drafted right out of high school (1968) and was nearly killed when he was overseas and came home with an arm full of shrapnel (which he still has today). The Army was going to send him back, but before they did that my other brother Ronnie enlisted (only one sibling at a time was allowed) and fought in the war. I've always felt that our family was blessed because both my brothers came back alive, when so many didn't. The war was extremely unpopular and that hatred was aimed at the servicemen when they came home; I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. My brothers didn't want to go, but because of the draft, they and everyone else who served had no choice. Many people in my dad's generation firmly believe that had JFK not been assassinated, the United States involvement in the war would have never happened or would have been lessened considerably. Who would have ever thought that Vietnam would end up being a tourist destination? I have heard it is a beautiful country to visit and perhaps that is helping to heal it's wounds.

    BTW Jerilyn, I am not unknown, it's Becky

    ReplyDelete