Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 3 - Boston

Today was a great day spent in Boston with Stephanie. Stephanie has taken many a friends and family to Boston, so she is a good tour guide in and of herself.

  We took the train into central Boston and started to look for the Super Duck Tour ticket stand. We decided it would be fun to take that tour around to see the Harbor and the city history sites.

  After finding thee ticket selling place we walked around the Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market area before grabbing lunch at the Purple Shamrock, an Irish Pub. I had fish and chips...Gotta eat seafood here. I even tried Steph's lobster roll.

  Then we walked around Faneuil Hall, this was a gathering place built in the mid 1700's. Inside you could see the meeting room that is still used today. They also had a visitor's center and gift shop (like any good site should). Inside the gift shop, it brought me right back to my youth. After my 2nd grade year my family and I went on a tour of the northeast. Being all of like 7-8 years old, I don't recall the details, but I have some fuzzy memories. In the gift shop you could but all the things I had got when I was younger (see pictures). Sam the minute man book, paper money and replica's of the constitution and declaration of independence. There was even Jacob's ladder that I played with for years. I loved seeing these things!

   Later while waiting for our tour we followed the freedom trail a little more, saw the holocaust memorial and then onto the Old North Church, through the area like little Italy. Next we walked around the wharf/pier.it was nice on the water and I had finally cooled down (stopped sweating). The humidity is crazy...all the while Steph is now cold...there's something wrong with this picture.  Lol.

  About 2:30 we boarded the shuttle to the tour. With our Duck tour starting at 3. You might be asking what is a Duck Tour? Well it is a tour that goes both on land and on the water, in the same vehicle. Kinda neat. We got a land tour of the city and the historical stuff and then we splashed down into the Harbor near the old Navy Pier. There were lots of neat things to learn on the tour...that's why I like a good tour.

  After the tour we walked back to the Boston Common to see some things we hadn't yet stopped by to see. Meanwhile the weather gods decided to open up on us. We did break for a yummy cupcake at Sweet (a bakery), before continuing. We waited out the rain some, but eventually made it to a CVS to buy some rain gear. I brought an umbrella, but I chose not to bring it into Boston...silly me!

  I bought a poncho, but didn't want to look like the stupid person (tourist) in a poncho...so instead I was the stupid tourist getting soaked. 
   We did see a couple more things on the way to the subway. We then headed upto Cambridge to Harvard.

   Now I don't know about you, but I'm not good with where my Ivy league schools are located. 1. I'm not from the northeast, 2. I never wanted to or would have a ghost of a chance getting into school there and 3. I can't cheat, their location is not in their name (i.e. Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.). Thus I didn't realize that Brown was in Providence or that Harvard was actually in a suburb of Boston as is MIT. Now I did know that MIT was in Mass, but who knew where. Lol. Ignorance at it's best!

   Needless to say by the time I was walking around Harvard I was a drowned rat and finally decided to pull out the poncho. Better than never??? We walked around and saw a few buildings...library, science center, where they hold graduation. It was fun despite the rain.

  We ate at a place on Harvard square which was very nice and good. I tried scallops and had a good chicken dish. Yum!

  After dinner we were worn out and just took the train back. When we got back I could have gone to bed...but no, thankfully Steph turned on the Olympics! What was I thinking! It's still primetime on the east coast! I was happy to see some coverage, because I'm going to miss it when I don't have it anymore...i.e. tomorrow.
  That was my day in a nut shell...or not. heading to Iceland tomorrow...leg 2 will begin. I'm thankful to get to stay with and see Stephanie on my trip! Thanks!

Love

P.S. Again please forgive any typing errors, or sentences that don't make sense, using the phone is great, but predictive text is tricky sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment