Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 5 - Iceland


I arrived in Iceland this morning about 630am after not getting much sleep. I did intend to sleep, per my last post, but nope...that didn't happen. I found the Hunger Games movie and it wasn't night time really, so I watched it. I did end up sleeping for about an hour, but I was plenty tired today. Have to deal with my Jetlag someday, might as well do it now. I arrived, got the first stamp in my new passport and headed to find the bus to Reykjavik. I wanted to get out some cash, but my knowledge and understanding of the Icelandic Krona system is small. They utilize the thousands mark. Thus everything had 3 zero's behind it and I couldn't tell if it was thousands, or a decimal place. I eventually, after sticking my card in 3 times and cancelling it...got out some Icelandic money. I´ll keep it for when I come back in a couple weeks.

I did get a bus ticket to the main Reykjavik bus station and headed that way, after transferring once, I finally arrived and got to see Elin. She was patiently waiting for me. I didn´t realize the international airport was so far away from the city. We ran to get some breakfast at a local bakery and headed back to her place. Elin's kid´s and husband were still sleeping, so we chatted for a little while and ate some yummyness!!!! Elin has wifi that I could use, so I tried out my iMessage and Facetime features with those stateside. It worked out great! Eventually about 10:30am, I was getting super tired, and I took Elin up on her offer to take a nap. I slept for a couple of hours.

After my nap I showered and made myself not look a day old and we grabbed some lunch and walked around downtown Reykjavik. For lunch we went to a seafood grill and I had the catch of the day, which was a white fish, that I don´t recall the name to. It was good! We walked by some beautiful jewelry stores that are native to Iceland, tempting, but I had to keep walking. I did find some things I wouldn't mind getting, but I'm going to wait until when I come back so I don't have to carry them all around England and back. Elin suggested a day trip on the day I´m here in a couple weeks, so I think that sounds like a great idea!

We came back and I took a couple cat naps on the couch while we watched some Olympics and just relaxed. It was nice to relax. Elin cooked a leg of lamb for dinner which was good, I'd not had it before. After dinner Elin and I went for a walk around her neighborhood. We walked by the bay/ocean for a while and it was just BEAUTIFUL!!! I have some pictures to share when I get back. The sunset was wonderful. Mind you this walk was after 10:30pm...it feels so much earlier than that!

It's been a great day, and I am sad I have to leave tomorrow and not see Elin again for a while, but I´m so thankful for her to allow me to stay with her and be a wonderful host!! Thank you. I love Iceland and I will be back!!!

Love

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting! Wish it could have been longer though! :)

    ReplyDelete